Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) reopening to international students
As of October 20, 2020, International students can study at some Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs). This applies to those international students who are currently in Canada and who
- Have, or have been approved for a study permit, and
- Are traveling to Canada for a non-discretionary or non-optional purpose.
The travel of asymptomatic international students who have the appropriate documents to enter Canada and whose DLI is on the list of institutions with approved COVID-19 readiness plans in place will be considered to be non-discretionary and non-optional, unless there is evidence that they are clearly coming to Canada for a discretionary or optional purpose, such as tourism.
For international students who are not currently in Canada, DLIs must have a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by their province or territory. The DLIs must be listed on the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. Those students whose DLIs are not listed may not be allowed to board their flight or may be turned away at the port of entry. See the list of DLIs that have a COVID-19 readiness plan here.
The COVID-19 Readiness Plan
The plan should:
-: describes how the international students will manage the mandatory 14-day quarantine period, including arrangements for transportation to the students’ quarantine location,
-: provides information and support to international students about how
- they can get the items they need for their quarantine, like food and medications
- health insurance
- remaining healthy while in Canada
No travel plans should be made until travelers have met all requirements and received all necessary authorizations.
An immediate family member can accompany an international student to Canada in support of the principal applicant’s study program. Immediate family members include:
– spouse or common-law partner,
– a dependant
– a parent or legal guardian (in case of a minor child who will study in Canada)
Both the accompanying family members and the international students will be subject to all public health measures, including the mandatory 14-day quarantine period once they land in Canada.
Don’t forget to sign up!
Stay informed on our latest news!
- 74 Burgby Avenue, Brampton, Ontario, L6X 3A4, Canada
- 2nd Floor, Popular Printing Building, 12 Leoville L'homme Street, Port Louis, Mauritius